Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Home Visits and a lighter day

Today we've had spotty internet availability, so it made posting a little more difficult. So I'll (Joel typing here) give you a quick update on the day.

We spent the morning at Beacon, where we were able to worship with the staff at the training facility. It was incredible to see all the new faces! Having been here a few times already, there were only one or two friends that I recognized - all the rest were part of a new class of trainees learning the ropes on weaving, looming, or sewing. It's amazing to see how God has expanded the sphere of influence that Beacon of Hope has in this community!

Most of us had the opportunity to make a couple of home visits. We were led by a woman, named Grace, from the Social Work department, and it was amazing to get a first hand account of how God has worked in the lives of the women we met on the visits. For now I'll leave it at that and let another team member share more fully about the experience at another time.

This afternoon was more relaxed as we unwound a bit from two very intense days. Tonight we were joined by our final two team members, Susan Demel and Melissa Witte. Tomorrow we hit the ground running again as we prepare for Friday's medical camp near the town of Machakos. We will be out of internet coverage for the time we are there, so look for an update on Friday night or Saturday (Kenya time). We will also add a few more pictures at that time as well.

More coming soon...thanks for reading!
Joel

7 comments:

  1. Hi awesome Kenya team! While traveling a bunch lately, I've seen tons of missions teams en route to/from their destinations, and I've been praying for you lots. What a rock star team you have! Thanks for such great updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Joel! Praying for safe travels to and from Machakos!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Thanks for the update Joel.
    I'm glad that you guys are exhausted from your time in Bisil - thats a good sign that it was a great experience :)
    I'm looking forward to hearing about your home visits. Home visits for me were perhaps the most powerful part of the trip when I was with you.
    Safe travels to Machakos - what a sweet sweet place.
    Still praying holistically for the team and the lives you'll be crossing paths with.
    Best,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that Susan and Melissa made it to you guys. Answer to prayer. Have a great time as you travel to and from Machakos. I'd love to go there some day; maybe next time. I'm glad that you are all resting.
    cd

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric--I hope that you're taking tons of pictures so that I can hear all of your stories and see all of your pictures when you get back! Love you!! Leah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Em, I miss you so much! I can't wait to see you and tell you all about the trip. Thanks for praying!

    Leah, I'm taking tons of pictures and videos. It will be fun to share them all and try to accurately share the experience we are having. I love you too!

    Mom, if you're reading: Hello! I just want to let you know that I was just sick for the last day, but I am starting to feel better. I am predicting that I will wake up refreshed and healthy tomorrow morning! Nothing to worry about :-)

    Pastor Chris, It is such a blessing to have you commenting on all of our blog posts! I hope you are having a 'restful', AWESOME time on your sabbatical!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eric, I hope you are feeling better...are you?
    love, mom

    ReplyDelete